Trip to Iceland Part 1, Anyone?


Denali, AK 





To Iceland we Go

 Part 1








As I mentioned in another blog post I was given a chance to visit the very unique Iceland. It was not even on my 'wish list' in life. This is how it happened. 

I was on my solo vacation to see if I could find an area I liked and maybe wanted to move to, and also to spend some quality time alone with my Creator.


My mom and her travel companion were also on a trip, they like to cruise, yet they have done road trips too. This trip was a long Holland America Cruise from US to Norway, Iceland, and many other spots. 

My mom and dad are not rich, but they save for what they want, and this trip was a dream for my mom and her friend. 


I had driven from California to Oregon and Washington (COW for those studying geography California, Oregon, Washington = COW) and then was in Canada, Yukon and then Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks, AK

I was staying at an Airbnb in Anchorage and had an uncomfortable event happen, so I packed up and drove to Denali. There was a fire raging in Alaska but all we saw was the burned-out homes on the side of the freeway, they piloted us through safely. This was the end of August 2019.

I car camped the whole trip, with a few exceptions to get a better night's rest and take a full shower. As a female camper, we have toilet needs men do not have. Nothing serious, but it takes some thought for toilet use. No skinny tree will work for us, not really well anyway. 

I left Denali and drove to Fairbanks, AK to see if I would like that area to live. I got there August 24, 2019.

I was also off grid with no cell service for days at a time in Yukon and near Denali, AK, so I drove to Fairbanks, AK and found a spot to park in the outer parking lot of Walmart. 

I went in the store and saw I had cell reception and saw I had some missed calls. Mom mostly. 

Moms do worry, it's part of our mothering nature. Plus, I had been alone and off grid, so she liked to check in with me. I heard, "Hi, we had to visit the Dr. but JW is fine, he has kidney failure and is very yellow, but he is fine. We are debarking and will be in Reykjavík, Iceland to have the doctors check him over."

I knew enough to know; all was NOT well and was surprised that Mom was so calm. (Ignorance IS bliss, sometimes). 

My mom is legally blind and had not seen that JW was yellow and yet she had noticed he was walking very, very slowly. I called my mom in Iceland the next day. 

Now we went from smooth sailing to 'MAN OvERBOARD!, MAN OvERBOARD!". It became very clear Mom could not navigate a foreign land while being legally blind and near crippled. She needed a companion to help her. 

I offered, and she said Yes, through her tears. "I can't do this alone, I got lost at the hospital, and I am so worried."

It was pretty amazing I was having a relaxing time at 10 AM Alaska time and by 6pm I was flying to Anchorage, AK then to Iceland the next day. It took me 2 days with the time change and flight to get to my mom.

I arrived at 5-6 AM  Iceland time and it was.... eery. Yes, eery. I will go into that more later (Iceland part 2), but for now let me say...

I hear many birds in the states I have lived. I never ever have had a silent early morning. EVER. It was so odd, I stopped my walking (from the bus to the hotel) and listened, lest I missed the quiet birds. 

NOTHING. 

Zip, NADA.

I might understand if it was the dead of winter but it was Aug. 26, 2019. I found that odd. 

Another thing were the quiet dogs. I found a few dogs, but they didn't bark at strangers like I find in America. Maybe the dogs are trained better in Iceland? It was nice, but very different. 


So, I am now in this volcano land with green tundra everywhere. It has a unique sort of beauty. I have never been any place like it. But then Iceland is a virtual volcano land. 

Iceland is 100% off grid. The hydroelectricity heats homes, pools, business's and they even use it to garden in greenhouses to provide the food they need. I loved that part of Iceland the gardening plots were amazing.


What a beautiful country, and as it turned out while Moms friend was convalescing in the hospital, we could do a little sight seeing. We didn't go to the Blue Lagoon, but we did swim in a heated pool. 

(everyone showers up before the swim and even that was an experience.) 

I do recommend seeing it, it's one of a kind. Beauty, culture, GREAT fish and lovely people. 


( I have so many photos, but I am learning how to upload them!)  Soon 


If you can manage to go in early fall you may see the Arora Borealis/ Northern Lights. Super Sky seeing!



My unexpected flight to Iceland lasted two weeks, then we all came home. Without photos to see, it is hard to get the gist of how different Iceland feels and looks. 

I do hope you can go. Just plan on 3x the amount of money you would for any other vacation. 


















Comments