You can get to Alaska via a dirt road or a paved road





Crossing the Yukon River at Dawson




















After a harrowing drive from Alaska to the Yukon Boarder at 8:30 AM in the deep fog, I stopped at the top of the summit and got out to see the view. I was truly 'on top of the world' and sang the Carpenters song, "I'm on top of the world, looking down on creation." 
It was an emotional moment for me, since I felt God's presence with me and I felt the love of God all around me, 'on top of the world.'  It is hard to imagine NOT feeling Gods love and presence in my life, but alas... trouble, stress and strife can make is seem hard to feel His love. 








After a long, steep downward dirt road from the boarder to the Yukon River Ferry, I found out that in one more week the crossing would have been closed. I had not planned to be in Alaska late September. 

It's good to know, BEFORE you travel. I was off grid, traveling alone and trusting the process. I was protected AGAIN by God's providence. 

I had no idea about traveling in the north during late fall. I had not expected to be there that long. I had an emergency trip to Iceland and was delayed by three weeks in my Alaska travels. The Iceland story is another day, another story. 

I had no way of knowing, but my heavenly Father did. He was watching out for all the details, the ones I couldn't know.

At Dawson Creek Crossing, you can:

Buy gas
Rest your bones
Eat at a restaurant
Keep going to the interior of Yukon

I am not in possession of a lot of knowledge of the area, except to say it was beautiful, cool and the people are kind and helpful. 

I asked the woman in the gas 'trailer' if I could warm up some water in the microwave, to make tea and she said yes. It was a trailer you might see at a construction site, but that was where you paid for your gas. 

Many gas 'tanks' are above ground, I can guess it's because the ground freezes in the winter, so the tank is above ground, and you have to read the directions on how to pump the gas from the gas tank. It's not like in the lower US, it's what is needed in the cold areas of the North. So, you learn a few more skills at 58, that is a great thing. At least that's how I see it. 

I probably have mentioned that my dad suggested driving from 1/2 a tank full to 1/2 a tank full, and it sure paid off in Yukon. I actually had to drive for 150 miles past my 1/2 tank line to find gas. THAT was expensive but not stressful, since I was not driving on empty. I think it was $126.00 for 3/4 a tank in my 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander, I didn't know what gas to get, and it turned out I purchased premium gas and boy was it expensive!  

I was getting 30-40 miles per gallon due to a great car and a slower speed limit in Yukon and Canada.

Traveling with family or alone, there are a few necessities for your trip:

1. Know how you will 'find a bathroom', if you can't find a public toilet. I packed a bucket lined with a plastic bag and filled with sawdust, for the times I might need it. 

2. Be aware of your surroundings and park backed in, in case you need to exit quickly. 

3. Keep fresh water on hand and also baby wipes. It is great for cleaning up and also for times when you can't find a restaurant for a glass of water or using their bathroom. (Traveling during a ---demic was quite the experience)

4. Keep a gun or a knife close by, for your protection. I also kept bells near my doors, for a bear alert, or a 'stranger danger alert' too. 

5. The 'gut' message you get, may say, 'get out of here', DON'T question it. No news (not understanding) is good news (you don't have to know why, and don't rationalize the 'gut' instinct) and sometimes getting out of an area could save your health or life. Not even people always, sometimes of hidden dangers of animals or racing cars or motorcycles, that may show up at 5-6 AM!. The place you choose to camp, may seem safe, but really it's not. Just listen to your 'gut' and move your vehicle, if needed. 

6. Get good rest. Sleep well and enjoy the view - of life. I know it's hard to go to sleep if you are near Alaska in the summer or Iceland, the temptation is to stay up for long days and into the night, but you still need rest. Take care of yourself.

7. If you have fears, address them, face them and ask yourself, "is this logical, or from some idea, or movie situation you have seen?" Bad things do happen in life to innocent people, so trust your 'gut' and be aware of your surroundings. Be like a lion: calm, but aware of what is happening. 

8. I kept 'dried foods' in my car that could be eaten dry (kale chips, banana chips, raisins, veggie snacks and also things that could be eaten by adding Hot water.). Just in case I had a time when it was not safe to have a camp fire, or even use my camp stove. (Fire season Aug. 2021)

9. I had put a spare key on a cord, and left my back window open an inch, so that IF I lost my car key as I was hiking or shopping, I would have a way to get in my car still. (I also put the cord in a way that was not seen by the outside of the car) I was oftentimes far away from civilization and a AAA tow truck would never find me. It was my 'just in case' method to keep myself safe. My key had a fob on it, so I couldn't put it in a car hide-a key box. Plus, those do get knocked off sometimes, my key on a cord idea was my 'security.'

10. I traveled solo, but I have every faith that God was with me and directing me. I was safe and unharmed traveling alone. No dog, no gun, no lazar or pepper spray - they confiscated that in Canada at the boarder. I was safe and in most situations in life, that will be fine, but not everyone has my faith or trust in God and not everyone feels comfortable alone. I think you need to assess your comfort level for yourself- don't let others tell you how to live. 











The Poker Creek–Little Gold Creek Border Crossing is located on the Top of the World Highway, which connects the communities of Chicken, Alaska and Dawson, Yukon on the Canada–United States border. This crossing is notable for being the northernmost international border crossing in North America. **


**    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_Creek%E2%80%93Little_Gold_Creek_Border_Crossing
 

Comments